Curtiss-Wright Corporation has the most renowned legacy in the aerospace industry. In 1929, Curtiss-Wright was formed by the merger of companies founded by Glenn Curtiss, the father of naval aviation, and the Wright brothers, renowned for history’s first flight. These technological pioneers ushered in the era of aviation and their trailblazing spirit made history. Curtiss-Wright has changed dramatically over the past eight decades, and continues to transform itself to be at the forefront of the markets that we serve.
As war clouds formed in Europe, the Armed Forces of the United States began to accelerate defense preparations and Curtiss-Wright played a major part in the production of armaments for the war effort. Curtiss-Wright’s incredible record of mass production, scale-up and management during World War II is a matter of documented history.
In 1940, Curtiss-Wright introduced the famous P-40 War Hawk, which through December, 1944 was to have a production run of 13,738 planes and serve with distinction in the Air Forces of 28 nations during World War II. Curtiss-Wright’s aggregate war score: 142,840 aircraft engines; 146,468 electric propellers; 29,269 airplanes which included the Curtiss Commando transport and the Navy dive bomber, the Helldiver.
During the war effort the company had been required to place its focus on the development and mass production of reciprocating engines and propellers. With the jet age dawning, the company withdrew from military airplane competition.Wright R-1820 “Cyclone” PDF